|Hello, I'm Elyssa – aka Ellie the Editor – and I've been passionate about the power of language and storytelling since childhood.
After 15 years producing acclaimed magazines and resources for major membership organisations, I turned freelance in 2014. I’ve since worked for clients across the education, charity and corporate sectors, as well as writing my first book.
What can I do for you?
- Clear, concise and engaging writing.
- Meticulous and speedy sub-editing and proofing.
- Editorial project management, from planning to printing – and on to the web and social media too.
- Workplace training in effective writing, house style and grammar.
We won! The Teacher scoops the
'Best Magazine' title at the TUC Awards.
- Producing membership magazines and other publications from initial concept to end product – annual reports, brochures, handbooks, event programmes, funding bids, training manuals, catalogues, posters, manifestos and leaflets, to name but a few.
- Creating effective electronic communications, including interactive digital magazines, website content, social media presence and SEO.
- Journalistic and copy-editing skills, including writing features, news stories, event reports and interviews, rewriting others' work, sub-editing and proof-reading.
- Managing large budgets and retendering print, fulfilment and advertising sales contracts to ensure best value.
- Commissioning contributions from freelance journalists, celebrity guest writers, in-house experts, photographers and illustrators – putting formal contracts in place if necessary.
- Writing in plain English and presenting complex or ‘dry’ information in engaging ways.
- Developing good relationships with printers, mailing houses, pre-press bureaux and Royal Mail reps to ensure efficient, cost-effective production and distribution.
- Creating page layouts in Adobe InDesign and Quark Xpress.
- Conducting readership research in partnership with specialist companies.
- Using reader-generated content – anecdotes, tips, Q&As, Tweets, texts and more – to boost members’ engagement with magazines.
- Sourcing images from photographers, illustrators and picture libraries, or taking them myself, and editing in Adobe Photoshop.
- Working productively with editorial boards and sub-committees.
- Meeting the needs of readers with visual impairments or basic skills deficiencies.
- Producing materials bilingually in Welsh/English and in minority ethnic languages.
- Devising advertising policies and securing advertising and sponsorship, both directly and through specialist agencies.
- Delivering presentations and leading activities at staff training days.
- Writing promotional copy for news-stand and trade magazines.
- Compiling and communicating house style guides.
- Establishing and managing digital photo libraries.